Buy Physical CD:
Catalogue No: ECW1801
It’s Christmas, and Elektra is arriving at the party with seven creative guests — the composers and arrangers whose works are here. Bernat Vivancos is based in Barcelona, and his arrangement of Angels We Have Heard on High sparkles with playful nuance. Ottawa-based Kelly-Marie Murphy wrote Hodie Christus Natus Est at the invitation of both Elektra and our friends in Ottawa, l’ensemble vocal sénior De La Salle, Robert Filion, Conductor. J. David Moore’s Veni, Veni is a meditation that expands on both the musical and poetic themes of this most ancient of melodies. Berlin-based composer and arranger Winnie Brückner is represented with two of her arrangements. O Jesus, Sweet Child is the traditional German carol, O Jesulein Zart, given a lighthearted lift in this 5/4 rhythm, and Silent Night is simply stunning in its simplicity. Canada’s Don Macdonald’s lyrical style marries perfectly with the centuries-old words of There is No Rose. Minnesota-based Abbie Betinis’ In the Bleak Midwinter has become a choral classic. And Sarah Jaysmith’s lovely Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella! brings the innocence and enthusiasm of its story to life. I hope this collection of new discoveries will bring you the joy of the season.
With guest artists, Stephen Smith, piano, and Vivian Chen, harp
Total time: 39:24
Dropcards are available at a price of CAD $7 plus postage. To order, email email@example.com.
Booklet here: Silent Night Booklet
Pieces on this Recording:
- Les anges dans nos campagnesTraditional French Bernat Vivancos (arr)
- Hodie Christus Natus Est Kelly-Marie Murphy
- Veni, VeniJ. David Moore
- O Jesus, Sweet Child (O Jesulein Zart)Traditional German Winnie Brückner (arr)
- There is No Rose Don Macdonald
- In the Bleak MidwinterGustav Holst Abbie Betinis (arr)
- Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella! Traditional French Sarah Jaysmith (arr)
- Silent NightFranz Gruber Winnie Brückner (arr)