Celebrating Women Composers
Project Timeframe: Ongoing through spring 2019
Next open call for participants: Spring 2017 (sign up to receive details when available – see below)
Like many music organizations, Elektra is looking to encourage women composers and create opportunities to increase the body of outstanding choral repertoire written by women. Whether or not their music already includes music for classically-based women’s choir, we are interested to know who is out there, within and outside of the borders of Canada. Music by contemporary composers and those from previous eras are all of interest.
The project is curated by Artistic Director Morna Edmundson and is embedded within Elektra’s season and outreach programs. With multi-year project funding from the Vancouver Foundation and the BC Arts Council, the goal is to create opportunities for and increase the visibility of women composers. Well-established and emerging composers are involved. Some aspects involve open calls for submissions, and some are by invitation. Activities include:
* A higher than usual representation of women composers in Elektra’s season programming over three seasons. One example is our Shining Light: Celebrating Women Composers concert in May 2017.
* Calls for composers interested in professional commissions for Elektra’s concerts and outreach events
* Direct invitations to composers to receive a commission from Elektra
* Residencies, reading sessions with other conductors, and pre-concert talks
* The opportunity to provide program notes in our concert “Listener’s Guides”
* Inclusion of the programmed and commissioned works on Elektra’s “Repertoire Resources” web database
* Possibility of posting of season concert video on Elektra’s YouTube channel
* Possibility of subsequent studio recording and commercial release of the works
* Possibility of co-commissions through Elektra’s network of women’s choirs nationally and internationally
The first opportunity was an open call for composers interested in writing a commissioned work for Elektra’s January 30, 2017 Choral Leadership Workshop. Vancouver composer Katerina Gimon was selected to compose a new work for over 250 youth and adults, including Elektra, to be read at the workshop and potentially programmed in future performances by some of the eight choirs involved. Katerina’s assignment was for an a cappella work for SSA in which the learning and listening experiences for this large group in a short period of time were paramount. She will be present at the workshop to introduce All Together We Are Love and herself to the women of all ages, and meet the conductors.
If you would like to be added to the list to receive notifications of future open aspects of this program, please contact email@example.com or phone 604-739-1255.