POSTED JULY 20, 2021
Deadline: Open – Until filled
Elektra Women’s Choir is recognized internationally for bringing choral excellence to our in-person and virtual audiences over the past 34 years. Our mission is to inspire and lead in the choral art form through excellence in performance and the creation, exploration, and celebration of women’s repertoire. We continuously commission and record new compositions for women’s voices, expanding the repertoire available to treble and women’s choirs world-wide. Through our three-concert annual series, community engagement programming, fundraising initiatives, and triennial Tapestry International Celebration of Women’s Choirs, we continue to enrich the choral experience for our singers, and our audience.
Elektra Women’s Choir acknowledges that we sing and create on the shared ancestral, traditional, and unceded territories of the Coast Salish peoples, in particular the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səl’ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Elektra Women’s Choir seeks a motivated, innovative and collaborative individual who is passionate about the arts, to be the face of Elektra and fulfill the choir’s mission.
The successful candidate will support the choir’s goals for artistic excellence, financial stability, audience growth and community engagement. The Managing Director leads the planning, development, implementation, and monitoring of policies and strategies to achieve the vision and organizational goals.
The Managing Director reports to the board of directors and is responsible for the overall direction and management of all aspects of the administration of the choir. The Managing Director works in partnership with the Artistic Director and has oversight of the work of the Marketing Director.
This is a part-time contract commitment with a flexible schedule averaging approximately 25 hours/week, 48 weeks/year. The Managing Director is expected to be available evening and weekend hours during production periods, to attend board meetings, and may be required occasionally throughout the year to attend planned special events. The remuneration is between $35,000 and $42,000 per year commensurate with experience.
If you have an enthusiasm for a collaborative work environment and partnership-building, this is the opportunity for you.
Position may be worked from home, with options to work from the Elektra office as needed. Please note that to qualify for this position the applicant must live in the Lower Mainland or be prepared to relocate.
- Plan development, including operational plans, to achieve strategic goals
- Ensure society compliance and support the Board in fulfilling its mandate
- Leadership, management and supervision of contractors and volunteers
- Coordination and co-delivery of events, concerts, fundraising activities etc
- Revenue generation
- Financial management
- Marketing and communications
- Community engagement
- Post Secondary education in arts administration or comparable experience
- Proven experience with operational and financial management
- Experience in securing funding via grant writing
- Proficiency with key computer applications, including CRM systems, and web technology
- Experience in community building and fundraising
- Knowledge of the performing arts, non-profits, and/or music
- A valid drivers’ license and access to a vehicle when required
- Able to legally work in Canada
- Ability to analyze, organize, and process information quickly and accurately
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills
- Superb verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work successfully both as a member of a close-knit team and independently
- Sound judgement, attention to detail, problem solving
- Able to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to manage change
How to apply:
- Please apply by email to email@example.com, with the subject “Managing Director – YOUR NAME”.
- Please include the following with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Note that references will only be contacted in the event of an interview.
- Samples of, or links to any previous writing, this could include press releases, website content, fundraising grants you’ve prepared etc.
- We thank all who express interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- You may not meet every qualification; if you’re interested in the position, please apply anyway! We are looking for the right fit and we are interested in hearing about how you meet these criteria, and what you wish to learn.
- While it is anticipated that this position will start in September or October of 2021, Elektra is open to other start dates for the right candidate.
Elektra Women’s Choir operates under the dual leadership model, with the Artistic Director and Managing Director reporting to the Board. Our co-leaders have high-level oversight over the many concerts, events, community engagement activities, and audience development.