Elektra Women’s Choir Youth Scholarship (amount $500)
Deadline: February 28, 2022
The purpose of this annual scholarship is to support a young developing musician in their music education experience. The scholarship may be used for travel to a music program, participation in music festivals, private instruction, tuition or any other music education activity. The recipient may or may not be planning to pursue a career in music.
- Applicant’s primary residence is in the Metro Vancouver, BC area or the applicant has graduated from a Metro Vancouver high school.
- Applicant is between the ages of 15 and 20 on December 31, 2021
Recipients of the Elektra Women’s Choir Youth Scholarship are required to:
- Fulfill the activities for which the scholarship is being sought within sixteen months of the announcement of the Scholarship recipient. (Note: Due to COVID restrictions, this timeline is flexible at this time.)
- Demonstrate that the funds were used for the proposed activity or activities.
- Return the scholarship amount to Elektra Women’s Choir in the event that it is not used by the recipient for the proposed activity or activities.
- Provide consent to use their name and photograph in promotion concerning the scholarship and other choir activities.
- Applicants who are under the age of 17 on the day they submit their application must provide confirmation of parental consent as part of the application process.
- Applicants should apply by completing the online application.
- The support letter from the recommending teacher/conductor must include their name, position, and phone number. This letter should be emailed directly from the teacher to email@example.com.
- Both the online application and support letter must be received by 11:59pm PST Monday, February 28, 2021.
The Scholarship Committee of the Elektra Women’s Choir is comprised of Choir and Board members (community representatives). The Committee will review applications and select a Scholarship recipient. The decision of the Committee is final.
The following areas will be considered with the approximate weightings:
- 30% Personal musical experience and achievements
- 35% Proposed activities and scholarship impact
- 35% Written recommendation letter from music teacher/conductor
The 2020 recipient of the Elektra Women’s Choir Youth Scholarship was Heidi Goetz. Heidi will be pursuing a Bachelor of Music Degree at the University of Victoria.