Elektra Women’s Choir Youth Scholarship (amount $500)
Elektra Women’s Choir is pleased to announce the creation of Elektra Women’s Choir Youth Scholarship.
Applications open now for 2020.
Application deadline March 1, 2020
The purpose of this annual scholarship is to support a young developing musician in their music education experience. The scholarship may be used for travel to a music program, participation in music festivals, private instruction, tuition or any other music education activity. The recipient may or may not be planning to pursue a career in music.
- Applicant’s primary residence is in the Metro Vancouver, BC area or the applicant has graduated from a Metro Vancouver high school.
- Applicant is between the ages of 15 and 20 on December 31, 2019
Recipients of the Elektra Women’s Choir Youth Scholarship are required to:
- Fulfill the activities for which the scholarship is being sought within sixteen months of the announcement of the Scholarship recipient.
- Demonstrate that the funds were used for the proposed activity or activities.
- Return the scholarship amount to Elektra Women’s Choir in the event that it is not used by the recipient for the proposed activity or activities.
- Provide consent to use their name and photograph in promotion concerning the scholarship and other choir activities.
- Applicants who are under the age of 17 on the day they submit their application must provide confirmation of parental consent as part of the application process.
- Applicants should apply by completing the online application here. The support letter from the recommending teacher/conductor must include their name, position, and phone number.
- The written recommendation letter should be sent separately via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Both the online application and support letter must be received by 11:59pm PST on Friday, March 1, 2020.
The Scholarship Committee of the Elektra Women’s Choir is comprised of Choir and Board members (community representatives). The Committee will review applications and select a Scholarship recipient. The decision of the Committee is final.
The following areas will be considered with the approximate weightings:
- 30% Personal musical experience and achievements
- 35% Proposed activities and scholarship impact
- 35% Written recommendation letter from music teacher/conductor
The 2019 recipient of the Elektra Women’s Choir Youth Scholarship was Connie Goetz, shown here receiving the scholarship at Elektra’s May 2019 concert in Vancouver. Connie is pursuing a Bachelor of Music Degree at the University of Victoria.