Chez Nous: Christmas With Elektra (2008)
7:30 PM November 29th, 2008 at Ryerson United Church
Our Chez Nous once again arrives on the eve of Advent with anticipation and joy, looking forward to the festivities that are about to unfold over the coming month. This year’s Christmas treasure chest concert brings new music, international songs from old traditions, readings of the season, clever arrangements of familiar tunes and of course some favourite carols of this beloved holiday. We welcome White Rock Children’s Choir, with their vivacious director Sarona Mynhardt, the talented, ebullient Joe Trio with violinist Cam Wilson, cellist Charles Inkman, and pianist Allen Stiles,and our beloved accompanist, composer and remarkable pianist, Stephen Smith.
A highlight to be discovered in the first half of Chez Nous will be the premiere of Stephen Smith’s new work “So Hallowed is That Time” composed specifically for the forces of Elektra and Joe Trio. The text is part of Marcellus’ speech from Hamlet where he describes the season as being “so hallowed and gracious that all evil spirits are powerless, the nights are wholesome and birds sing all night long.” What a perfect fit for our Chez Nous!
The second half of this ‘treasure chest concert’ contains multiple offerings: Joe Trio playing a miniature Christmas Suite, a small set of songs by Elektra, a smiling nod to Charlie Brown’s Linus and Lucy and a grand culmination of all voices and spirits joining together in carols and treasured musical traditions that we’ve all come to know and love. Elektra always looks forward to bringing you our annual Advent concerts.
We have had many singing elves, all industriously busy in the multiple corners of our Elektra house, singing away as they help to prepare the way for Christmas. To each and every one of them, we give a hearty thanks. It’s that very special time of year, full of expectation and wonder, which opens all of our doors and hearts to the blessed season ahead. Good will to all! Morna and Diane
- Susanni from Salvator Mundi William Mathias
- Tu Es Vytautas Miskinis
- When Christ was Born of Mary Free Mark Sirett
- Yorkshire Wassail Traditional English Stephen Smith (arr)
- New Year Carol, A Benjamin Britten
- Byla Cesta Traditional Moravian Lily Storm (arr)
- Domnulet si domn din cer Traditional Romanian
- Kalanta of the New Year Traditional Greek Malcolm Dalglish (arr)
- So Hallowed is That Time Stephen Smith
- Gaudete Anonymous Pelle Olofson (arr)
- Christ-Child Lay in Mary’s Lap, The Edith Boroff
- Linus and Lucy Vince Guaraldi Cameron Wilson (arr)
- Night of Silence Daniel Kantor