Diane Loomer Choir
Next offered: spring 2021 – may be cancelled due to COVID-19
Deadline to apply: Teachers, please inquire any time (see below)
If you’re a high school conductor in Metro Vancouver looking to give your treble choir a morale boost within your music department, consider becoming Elektra’s “Diane Loomer Choir”. Through this free program offered to a different school each year, you will have the opportunity to work with Morna, have an in-school workshop, and attend an Elektra concert. Honouring the nurturing spirit of Elektra’s Co-Founder and Co-Conductor for 22 years, the “Diane Loomer Choir” program is all about encouragement, sharing, and learning.
The 2020 Diane Loomer Choir is Burnaby Central Women’s Choir, Carrie Taylor, director
This program offers:
- A meeting outside of school hours with Elektra’s Artistic Director Morna Edmundson to talk shop and choose a piece of music for your choir
- A free set of scores purchased for your choir by Elektra
- A workshop at your school with Morna during your regularly scheduled rehearsal time
- Tickets for up to 30 students, one teacher and one other accompanying adult to hear one of Elektra’s major concerts of the season in Vancouver. Additional tickets cost $18 per student and $40 for adults, including GST and all fees.
- Certificate naming your choir as the “2020 Diane Loomer Choir”.
There is no cost to participate. The selected choir can be at any stage in its development – we’ll meet you where you are! The dream is that your students will hear Elektra perform in concert the same piece of music that Morna has brought to rehearsal and worked on with the students. If that’s not possible, we will still find music that’s new to you that you and your singers will love.
A previously-offered version of this program was called “Girls Sing”. Participants in that program were York House (Vancouver, 2017), Burnaby Mountain Secondary (2018), and Seycove Secondary (North Vancouver, 2019).
For more information or to request consideration as the 2021 Diane Loomer Choir, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 604-739-1255.